Friday, October 30, 2015

Heroic Duties

I'd like to start today's post out with the words of Brad Paisley:

I met the man I call my dad when I was five years old
He took my mom out to a movie and for once I got to go
A few months later I remember lying there in bed
I overheard him pop the question and prayed that she'd say yes

And then all of a sudden
Oh, it seemed so strange to me
How we went from something's missing
To a family
Lookin' back all I can say
About all the things he did for me
Is I hope I'm at least half the dad
That he didn't have to be

This song always reminds me of the type of parent I want to be. In the song, the young boy is overwhelmed by the love he is shown by his step-father. I feel that such love and devotion to our children is not only necessary, but our duty as parents. As parents, we "have a sacred duty to rear [our] children in love and righteousness" (The Family).

Our duties as parents are similar to heroic duties held by superheroes. For example, heroes protect and defend people from threats. They slay the dragon or put the bad guy in jail. Being a hero requires more than just being a good role model. It requires sacrifice and effort. Iron Man didn't become a superhero by building a cool suit. He became a hero by saving the lives of innocent people. He was a hero because he risked his life.
Now, parents are not asked to sacrifice their lives for their children to become heroes, but sacrifices do need to be made. Our time is no longer our own. It belongs to our spouse and our children. We may have to sacrifice reading the next chapter in that wonderful book, or give up watching that chick flick to help finish a science project or kiss a "boo-boo". It is through our actions that our heroic character develops.

We must become "models of appropriate behavior consistent with self-control, positive values, and positive attitudes" (Hawkins et al). Developing these attributes prepares us to be able to fulfill all of our parental and heroic duties.

As quoted above, being a parent is a sacred duty. Not an important or meaningful duty- a sacred duty. Don't be discouraged by this duty, God has given us "commandments, guiding principles, and helpful examples in the scriptures, along with the counsel of modern-day prophets and apostles" to help us as we fulfill our duties as parents (Hawkins et al). 

How can we influence our children for good? How do we make sure that they follow the right path? It has been discovered that "it is within the moral and spiritual domains where parents can have the most influence" (Hawkins et al). This makes sense, because our religious views and practices shape how we think and who we become. I truly believe that "one of the most powerful tools that parents have in teaching positive values to their children is their religious faith" (Hawkins et al). 

I believe that through our actions we can show our children the correct principles in life to live by. I believe that as we sacrifice our time to truly get to know our children and to become their friend, we can also become their hero. I believe that "Of all the joys of life, none other equals that of happy parenthood. Of all the responsibilities with which we struggle, none other is so serious. To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good result from such efforts becomes life’s most satisfying compensation" (Hinckley).


Sources:

Hawkins, A., Dollahite, D., & Draper, T. (2012). Parenting with Love, Limits, and Latitude: Proclamation Principles and Supportive Scholarship. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives. Provo, Utah: BYU Studies and School of Family Life, Brigham Young University.

Hinckley, G. (1994, October 1). Save the Children. Retrieved October 30, 2015, from https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1994/10/save-the-children?lang=eng

Lovelace, J., Paisley, B. (1999). He Didn’t Have to be [Recorded by Brad Paisley]. On Who Needs Pictures [cd]. Nashville, Tennessee: Artista Nashville.


No comments:

Post a Comment